The Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Tourist Pass is a great offer for travelers exploring the Japanese Alps. It includes travel on the famous Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route and offers a very good deal compared to purchasing normal tickets.
Child passes (6-11) are available for half price
- The pass includes unlimited travel on non-reserved seats for the JR Chuo Main line between Nagoya - Matsumoto, on the JR Oito line between Matsumoto and Shinano-Omachi and the JR Takayama line between Toyama and Nagoya.
- Unlimited travel on the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route
- Up to 4 seat reservations can be made for free on JR ltd. express trains.
- Non-reserved seating on Toyama Chiho Railway limited express trains between Dentetsu-Toyama station and Tateyama station.
Limitations and things to keep in mind
- The Alpine route can be extremely busy during holiday periods and weekends. This can result in long queues and no availability for seating. Shinkansen lines are not included.
- Pass holders can not use the Tateyama cable car reservation system.
The JR Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Tourist Pass can only be used by visitors entering Japan using a “Temporary Visitor Visa"!
Exchange station locations
Conditions of use
- The pass cannot be used at an automatic ticket gate, please show your pass at a manned gate when entering and exiting the train platform area.
- The pass can be refunded at any station where the pass can be exchanged in Japan, a 10% processing fee applies. Our general refund policy applies for refunds outside of Japan.
- No refunds or re-issue is possible for a stolen, lost or damaged rail pass.
- Pass users must carry their passport with them and show their passport upon request by JR Staff.
- No compensation is given in the case of cancelled or delayed trains for whatever reason.
- The pass is counted in days from midnight to midnight (as opposite to periods of 24 hours), the first day of use is counted as a full day, no matter what time you start using it.