The JR East-South Hokkaido Rail Pass is ideal for travelers visiting Tohoku and and southern part of Hokkaido, connecting Tokyo with Sapporo. Ride the Hayabusa Shinkansen directly from Tokyo to Hokkaido, the fastest Shinkansen in Japan!
within a 14 day period.
Child passes (6-11) are available for half price
Explore the JR Map
- This pass is valid for unlimited travel within its validity area. This includes: the Shinkansen (bullet trains), ltd. express, express and local trains.
- Within the validity area, the following lines are included: JR Hokkaido lines, JR East Lines (including BRT*), Izu Kyuko Line, Tokyo Monorail, Aoimori Railway, Iwate Galaxy Railway, Sendai Airport Transit.
- This pass can be used for travel on local and rapid trains between Shimo-imaichi and Tobu-nikko/Kinugawa-onsen on Tobu Railway Lines. Between Kurihashi and Shimo-imaichi Stations, the pass may be used only on limited express trains that connect directly with Tobu Railway Lines. This pass may be used for Tobu Railway Lines as long as either the departing or destination station is on a JR line.
- Seat reservations are available free of charge on Shinkansen and ltd. express trains.
Limitations and things to keep in mind
- The Hayabusa Shinkansen has reserved seats only, be sure to get yours before boarding.
- The South Hokkaido Railway is not included.
- No buses, either local or Express buses (intercity) are included.
- The Pass is not valid on the Tokaido Shinkansen.
- The station of Gala-Yuzawa is only open during the winter sport season, Echigo-Yuzawa is the closest station when Gala-Yuzawa is closed.
The JR JR East-South Hokkaido Rail Pass can only be used by visitors entering Japan using a “Temporary Visitor Visa"!
Exchange station locations
Conditions of use
- The pass cannot be used at an automatic ticket gate, please show your pass at a manned gate when entering and exiting the train platform area.
- The pass can be refunded at any station where the pass can be exchanged in Japan, a 10% processing fee applies. Our general refund policy applies for refunds outside of Japan.
- No refunds or re-issue is possible for a stolen, lost or damaged rail pass.
- Pass users must carry their passport with them and show their passport upon request by JR Staff.
- No compensation is given in the case of cancelled or delayed trains for whatever reason.
- The pass is counted in days from midnight to midnight (as opposite to periods of 24 hours), the first day of use is counted as a full day, no matter what time you start using it.