Order Your JRPass
Back to Using the Japan Rail Pass

Military eligibility if on vacation

almost 8 years ago
1 response

I am traveling to Japan in July to visit son stationed in Misawa. He will be vacationing with me for 7 days. Since he wil be on vacation, cani buy a 7 days pass for him if he uses his unofficial passport to exchange the voucher @ the station? Would a letter from his supervisor stating he is on vacation help? Thank u.

1951 posts
almost 8 years ago

Hi Lu,

I'm afraid the rules surrounding jr pass eligibility are extremely stringent, and specifically require the presence of the 'temporary visitor' visa stamp within the passport of the Japan rail pass holder. You can find more information on validity here.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Instant Quote

Starting from $275.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 14865 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets.
Or see our range of Regional Passes