Order Your JRPass
Back to Itinerary check

Itinerary Check!

avia105
avia105
almost 5 years ago
3 responses

Hi there,
My best friends and I are traveling to Japan in March 2020. I’m just kind of doing research to see if we can reduce base price of the trip as much as possible.

Our itinerary is as follows:
March 2nd: arrive in Tokyo, take train to Osaka
March 2nd-6th: Osaka
March 6th-13th: Kyoto
March 13th-21st: Tokyo

Now for my questions!
1) is this an optimal route? As we fly in and fly out of Tokyo.
2) with all the traveling we will do, (we are also doing day trips out of each major cities) would a national train pass be saving us a lot of money?
3) there is a town that we would like to visit north of Kyoto. It’s called Toyosato. Would you be able to provide me precise direction? (more so wanting to know as well if our national pass covers It)
4) would you suggest a pocket wifi for us? There are 4 of us.

Thank you!

Daniel-san
18835 posts
almost 5 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

1.) Yes, your route looks good to me :)

2.) Could you tell me what day trips you would like to do? Knowing this would help me find the best pass to match your travel plans.

3.) The closest JR Station is called Inae on the JR Biwako line. Toyosato does not have a JR line but can be accessed using the Omi Tetsudo line but is not covered by the JR Pass.

4.) Certainly, Pocket WiFi has been a life saver for me many times in Japan. Just being able to use Google maps to navigate and look when the next train is online at any time are worth it. You can share the WiFi along the 4 of you, making the price per user quite low.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

avia105
avia105
3 posts
almost 5 years ago

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for responding!
We don't really have much in terms of specific locations. I just know about Toyosato for when we're in Kyoto and maybe Fuji-san. When we're in Tokyo.

For the Omi Tetsudo line, how much are the tickets usually if it's not covered by the JR Paass?

avia105
avia105
3 posts
almost 5 years ago

Hi Daniel,

I just got an update for our day trips:

When in Osaka:
We'd like to visit Nara, Koyasan, and Himeji Castle.

When In Kyoto:
Toyosato. Most of the time will probably be spent inside kyoto since its already a trip in itself!

Tokyo:
Fujisan, as far as I know.

Another question tho! Will the guide book that comes with it cover what's covered with the pass?

Daniel-san
18835 posts
almost 5 years ago
Expert

Hi again :)

I do not have the exact fare but it would be a couple hundred yet (think a couple bucks) each way. Nothing big.

For the JR Pass, since you spend most days locally I think it may actually cost less to buy the tickets for your trip individually to use a pass. Still, we have a handy tool called the JR Fare Calculator, in which you can add all your travel trips and compare the cost of a trip, against the cost of a pass.

Another question tho! Will the guide book that comes with it cover what's covered with the pass? Yes :)

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from £269.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17441 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes