Order Your JRPass
Back to Itinerary check

7 Day Pass vs 14 Day Pass

pelequero
pelequero
over 6 years ago
1 response

Can you please let me know if we are better off purchasing a 7 day pass or 14 day pass based on the following itinerary:

We will be in Japan for 16 days. During the first 10 days we will be in Tokyo and plan to use the local JR trains for travel within Tokyo only. I imagine we will average at least a few rides per day, but all local (with maybe Disney our furthest venture).

For the second half of the trip, we will travel from Tokyo to Hakone for two days, then to Kyoto, back to Tokyo and finally Narita.

Does it make sense just to buy the 7 day pass for the 2nd half of the trip (i.e. the longer trips)? Or would a 14 day pass make sense given the volume of local travel we will be doing within Tokyo?

Daniel-san
18830 posts
over 6 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

Yes, I would advise a 7 day JR Pass here. The pass is best used for the longer routes, for instance to Kyoto and back to Narita Airport.

Local travel within Tokyo only costs a couple hundred yen at best (that's 2-3USD). It would make more sense to buy local day tickets for travel just in Tokyo.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $459.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17323 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes