Order Your JRPass
Back to General Japan Travel

Visiting Japan September 2017

shayot
shayot
over 6 years ago
2 responses

Hi folks,

We (2 of us) will be arriving to Osaka on Sept 12th. Our plan is to stay and visit Osaka and around it (Miyajima+ Himeji) until the 15th when we hope to go to Hiroshima for one night. From here we plan to go to Kyoto on the 16th until the 19th and visit Nara and possibly Kinosaki. Then we will head for Tokyo until the 23rd when we leave for Australia.We are still debating whether we should go to Hakone or not and what to do in Tokyo for 3/4 days.

1) I would love to hear your views on this itinerary which is flexible if you have different suggestions and most importantly, should we buy JR passes.

2) We have no accommodation booked anywhere so we would be grateful for any advice on this, or indeed any of our plans.

Thanks,

Shay.

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 6 years ago
Expert

Hi Shay,

1.) A 7 day JR Pass will be worth it if you can include travel to at least Hiroshima and Tokyo. Adding more would only increase the value. Adding Kinosaki, would give you even better value. If possible I would adjust your itinerary for this. Start with Osaka, Kyoto and Nara, then Hiroshima - Kinosaki-Onsen - Tokyo. Local travel is not expensive around Kansai and you could then use your Japan Rail Pass for the longer parts.

2.) First, set your budget. You can be as long as 2.500yen/night in a hostel or capsule hotel. 4.000/night for basic business hotel and the price goes up from there for more luxury. Ryokan starts at around 5.0000/night but have a big price range too. You can travel and book your hotels upon arrival but generally, I would recommend making reservations in advance. You can do so using bigger booking websites (think of booking, tripadvisor etc) or sites that focus more on Japan, such as Japanican or Rakuten travel.

Every major station in Japan has a tourist inforrmation, these are really helpfull for booking hotels. Just tell your budget and they will keep rining hotels until they've found one for you. Its really neat!

Hope this helps,
Daniel

shayot
shayot
2 posts
over 6 years ago

Thanks Daniel......Your advice has helped to make my mind up re. the JRP.

We will definitely be going to Hiroshima and will also take your suggestion of rejigging our itinerary and go there after Osaka and Kyoto. We could also take in another location as I have also been advised to go direct to Kyoto when we arrive and visit Osaka as a day trip from there.

This could mean we would have an extra day so would you recommend two nights in Hiroshima?

I am expecting the weather in Sept. to be in the low to mid 20's, would you agree?

Finally, and I really appreciate your input, but I am thinking my itinerary is very much city based so would you have any suggestions for us to visit somewhere more rural? We would be interested in cultural/sporting/outdoors type attractions.

Thanks,

Shay.

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 6 years ago
Expert

Hi Shay,

September is one of the best times to visit when it comes to weather. 20-25 degrees is indeed the expected range.

There's enough to see and do in and around Hiroshima for 2 days. Seeing the city center, peace park and museum, A-bomb dome and Hiroshima castle can all be done in a day. Then add a side trip to any of the following: Miyajima, Onomichi or possible Iwakuni. All can be reached with the JR Pass.

I think you might really like Onomichi, this is a very pleasant town to walk around in. You can hike up the mountains on one side or start the Shimanamikaido on the other. This is a long bicycle route, going over many small islands that are connected with bridges in Shikoku.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes