3 responses

I’m looking for the best travel pass to go (in August):
13/8 Osaka airport to Osaka center
15/8 Osaka -Nara - kyoto
19/8 Kyoto to Hakone (Mount Fuji)
20/8 Hakone (Mount Fuji) - Komakura - Tokyo
22/3 Tokyo-Nikko - Tokyo
25/8 Tokyo to Tokyo airport
Should i buy the JR pass or a specific area pass?

Another question is, if is possible to do Hakone directly to Nikko.

Last question is, after Tokyo I will fly to Okinawa (I’m staying there for 7 nights), theres any pass to travel in Okinawa?

Thanks in advance

Daniel-san
18830 posts
about 6 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

There's not really a pass that would match your travel. However in Tokyo, you could look at using a Tokyo Wide Pass for travel to Nikko or perhaps part of the way from Hakone. There are no direct trains from Hakone to Nikko.

Also, other than a Monorail, there is no rail transport on Okinanawa.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Ana2k
Ana2k
3 posts
about 6 years ago

Thanks Daniel
Even for the first 7 days (osaka and kyoto) I shouldnt buy the jr pass? I’m planning as side trips: Himeji, Nara, Kurama and Kibune. Can I use the pass for this trips?
I was trying also to use the jr pass to travel from Gion-Kyoto to Hakone, is it possible? (in Hakone i’ll stay in Kawaguchiko)
Thanks for your help!

Daniel-san
18830 posts
about 6 years ago
Expert

Hi again,

Kyoto and Osaka are quite close together, a one way ride between them is just 560yen.

You can use to Himeji, Nara but Kurama and Kibune can't be reached by the JR. Still it is only local travel from Kyoto station to access them.

From Goin go to Kyoto station, then you can take the Shinkansen from there directly to Odawara, the Shinkansen station for Hakone.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Ana2k
Ana2k
3 posts
about 6 years ago

Hi again
So if I understand, inside Kyoto to sightseeing I cant use the JR pass. I can only use it for side trips, right?
If this is correct, I think I’m not saving money with the Jr pass even for the 7 days

Thanks a lot!

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from £269.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17323 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes