Order Your JRPass
Back to General Japan Travel

Travel from Narita Airport

Jennymarie
Jennymarie
almost 7 years ago
1 response

Hello ~
My daughter and I will be traveling in Japan in May, landing at 3:30 in the afternoon on May 20th. I had hoped to get the train from the airport and take it to Hakone.
On May 22nd we would then travel from Hakone to Kyoto where we will be for a week before returning to Tokyo for our last 2 nights.

In terms of planning our travel, would it be best to purchase a pass?

What is the best way to reach Hakone from Narita by train the the late afternoon (on a Saturday)?

And then what is the best way to reach Kyoto from Hakone on the 22nd?

I thank you very much for your assistance with all of my questions! It will be our first visit to Japan and I want to be sure I have thought through all of the details!

Jenny Marie

Daniel-san
18832 posts
almost 7 years ago
Expert

Hello Jenny Marie,

A 7 day JR Pass would be a good option if you can return to Tokyo before it expires. If you need more time, then I would suggest buying normal tickets, this because a 14 day JR Pass would require more travel to be cost effecient.

The fastest way to Hakone depends on where you need to be. Hakone is quite a big area really. Standard advice would be to take the Narita Express to Tokyo station and from there the Shinkansen to Odawara station. This is the fastest way but may not match with the place of your accommodation. I would suggest checking with your accommodation for the best route as well.

Then from Hakone to Kyoto, the Shinkansen station for Hakone is called Odawara. From there Shinkansen directly run to Kyoto.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $2,688.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17323 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes