Order Your JRPass
Smita
Smita
about 6 years ago
2 responses

Hi
We are travelling to Japan at the end of March. We have already applied for and received the JR pass
for the same.
We will be travelling from Tokyo to Hakone for a one day trip.
Please suggest the best route for us considering that we have the JR pass and do we need the Hakone free pass. If so, what does it cover and are there any additional expenses?
We would like to do a cruise on Lake Ashi and travel on the rope way. Would the Hakone freepass cover all this?
Also what is the 5th station?
Can you sugggest a particular day trip for us?
Which station do we travel to from Tokyo. How long would the whole trip take?

Regards,
Smita

Daniel-san
18835 posts
about 6 years ago
Expert

Hi Smita,

Hakone is one of the best side trips to make from Tokyo. You can use the Shinkansen from Tokyo station to Odawara in just 33 minutes for direct access to Hakone using the JR Pass. From there you can use a Hakone Free Pass, I think it will give you great value if you travel the Hakone circle, on the ropeway and cruise.

The 5th station, likely refers to one of the base points for climbing Fuji. Unless you plan to climb Fuji, there's nothing of interest.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Smita
Smita
2 posts
about 6 years ago

Thanks for your prompt reply!
This information is a huge help!

Can you please tell me whether I need to book the Hakone free pass in advance or can I buy it on the day I travel, ie from Odawara stn. And if so, can I use it on the same day or is there some sort of validation required?
Also if i book it online then how do I receive it, e-mail or courier?
Also, using the Hakone free pass to travel the Hakone circle,are there any other charges I have to pay or it is all inclusive? And how far apart are the points from each other on this circle? Is it possible to reach each point using this same transportation/walking or I would have to go by taxi?

Thanks once again
Regards
Smita

Daniel-san
18835 posts
about 6 years ago
Expert

Hi Smita,

You can buy the Hakone Free Pass directly at Hakone. For instance at Odawara station.

Pretty much all travel within Hakone is covered with it but I do recommend reading their website so you are familiar with the details.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $2,688.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes