Order Your JRPass
Back to General Japan Travel

Going to Nikko on October 16th 2017?

rossanav6
rossanav6
over 6 years ago
14 responses

Hi,

I want to ask, I was planning to go to World Heritage Site in Nikko (Furatasan Shrine, Nikko Shrine, Shinkyo Bridge, etc). But the date I will be able to go is October 16th 2017 and I read that there will be a festival of old Samurai going on there.

So my question is, during the festival, is Nikko really crowded that bus can't ride like usual and lots of traffic jam? If I only plan to visit Futarasan Shrine and others around World Heritage Site will I met the traffic jam too?

Do you recommend me to go to Nikko during that festival? Because I want to avoid the festival and traffic jam. I'm not planning to see the festival, I just want to enjoy the autumn season in Nikko. But is it possible for me to enjoy on October 16th 2017? It will be very crowded right? Is there any other city like Nikko (near from Tokyo) that already had the autumn feeling going on on October 16th 2017? Hope someone have suggestion for me. Thanks

Toraneko
Toraneko
1303 posts
over 6 years ago

Hi,
I presume you are referring to the Nikko Toshogu Shrine Autumn Grand Festival on Oct 16-17. So will there be a lot of people there? Of course - it is Japan. But not as many as some other festivals since it is being held on a Mon-Tue and not a holiday or weekend.
But the crowds will be around the Toshogu Shrine, mostly. There are a lot of other places to see in Nikko if you want.

For alternatives, you could go visit Kamakura and Enoshima. It is also much closer from Tokyo than Nikko. Up to you.

Best of luck.

rossanav6
rossanav6
14 posts
over 6 years ago

Yes, that is the festival I meant. Sorry that I can't remember the full name of the festival.

I want to see other places in Nikko, but will that festival causing traffic jam to other places in Nikko like to Ryuzu Falls? Because if there is traffic jam, I'm afraid of wasting my time because we are on quite a tight schedule.

If I go to Kamakura or Enoshima, which one has more autumn vibes like Nikko? Is it Kamakura or Enoshima? I can see in Japan guide that some of temples in Kamakura has autumn leaves as background of their temples, so is Kamakura better for autumn feeling? Thanks for replying.

Toraneko
Toraneko
1303 posts
over 6 years ago

With a lot more people going to Nikko for the festival, it is inevitable that there will be more people going to see the other sights of Nikko as well. As to how much of a traffic jam that will turn into, nobody can say - every year is different.
For the autumn colors, your timing is very good for Nikko. But comparatively speaking, the autumn colors of Kamakura are much later - from late November most of the time, so if the autumn colors are your primary interest, you'd be too early to see them in Kamakura. Enoshima is a beautiful island, but there is a lot more in terms of its beaches and ocean scenery than autumn colors. You might consider some other spots if you want to see the colors mostly. You could try the Shosenkyo Gorge in Yamanashi, or Oze in Gunma or Karuizawa in Nagano. The first 2 are mostly scenic hiking. Karuizawa would have the most variety. A Tokyo Wide Pass might save you a lot if you don't have some other pass.

rossanav6
rossanav6
14 posts
over 6 years ago

Thank you for replying! Yes, autumn colors is my primary target so I'm looking around for city near Tokyo that has autumn vibes like Nikko. Thank you for the suggestion.

As for traffic jam in Nikko, from your experience, how is the traffic jam for last year or past few years? Is it really bad? Did you stuck in traffic jam for around 2-3 hours? And need to wait 1-2hours to get into the bus like people reviewed in the internet?

Thanks for the information.

Toraneko
Toraneko
1303 posts
over 6 years ago

Hi,
I have not been to Nikko in mid-October so I can't give you any direct observations on that. But when the autumn colors come out in all their glory, word gets out very quickly and there are a lot more people going to see them than in other times. I am still unclear why you required to go to Nikko during the time of the festival. If you can avoid it, then by all means do so if you don't want to see it.
Another reason why you might want to skip Nikko (assuming you will be back again to see Japan some day) is that the Toshogu Shrine is under renovation and will be for the next several years.
So it's up to you on where you ultimately decide to go.

rossanav6
rossanav6
14 posts
over 6 years ago

I'm arranging our schedule and the time we are able to go is on Monday October 16th or Sunday October 15th. I want to go to see the autumn vibes but still unsure whether our effort will pay off if we go to Nikko and only see the World Heritage site is enough.

And I dont know if I'll be able to go to Japan in autumn again, so another reason why I'm kind of insisting to go to Nikko. But I'll need to arrange my schedule again. Thank you so much for your reply. It helps me decide a lot. Maybe I'll try to make us go to Nikko on Sunday October 15th.. do you think it will be more crowded on Sunday and worse than Monday October 16th?

Thanks

Toraneko
Toraneko
1303 posts
over 6 years ago

Hmmm...tough question. But if I were you, I think I'd go on the 15th. It's a Sunday, but likely better than during the festival.

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from £269.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17441 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes