We are travelling to Japan in October 2014 - 2 adults and a 2 year old. This is our itinerary and current travel plan.
1) Wed 1/10 - arrive NRT (15.10). Travel to Tokyo on NEX.
2) Sun 5/10 - Travel to Hakone. Shinkansen to Odawara.
3) Wed 8/10 - Travel to Kyoto. Shinkansen to Kyoto.
4) Possible day trip to Nara from Kyoto.
5) Sun 12/10 - Leave Osaka - KIX (10.30am). Travel Haruka line Kyoto to Kansai airport
I understand that I can purchase a cheaper NEX ticket at NRT by showing my foreign passport. Is this correct?
My research suggests that it would be more cost effective to buy all of the above train tickets individually rather than the JR Rail Pass. Do you agree?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.