Order Your JRPass
Back to General Japan Travel

Can I purchase a JR Pass while I am in Japan?

about 5 years ago
1 response


I am already in Japan under a visitor visa. I will stay here about 60 days and planning to visit few places in Japan like Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima.

Is it possible for me to buy this JR Pass while I am already in Japan?
If so, will Explore Japan deliver the Exchange pass to my current address in Japan?
Then how can I exchange the "Exchange order" to actual pass? (I am currently stay in Sendai, Miyagi)


16610 posts
about 5 years ago

Hi there,

Officially we are can't sell the JR Pass to someone in Japan. We can however deliver an other to your address in Japan.

Basically what this means is that the order for the JR Pass has to be placed outside of Japan. What you could do is ask someone outside of Japan to place the order for you and have it shipped to your address in Japan.

These are rules set by JR and we have to abide by them

To exchange to JR Pass, take the voucher to Sendai station and ask to staff to exchange it for the actual pass.

Hope this helps,

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Instant Quote

Starting from $397.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 14875 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets.
Or see our range of Regional Passes