Order Your JRPass
Back to Using the Japan Rail Pass

Who is eligible to use a Japan Rail Pass?

about 12 years ago
1 response

My wife and I, citizens of USA, are planning on visiting our son and his wife, who have been teaching in Japan for the past 1.5 years. They are also US citizens. We would like to travel around Japan via rail for one week. May we purchase a rail pass for our son and his wife as well as for ourselves?

Thank you so much!

1950 posts
about 12 years ago

Hi there,

As long as you and your wife enter Japan using the 'Temporary Visitor' visa (issued to tourists staying up to 90 days), you will be eligible for a Japan Rail Pass. However, as your son and his wife are unlikely to have this visa they will unfortunately not be eligible.

We have more on the visa eligibility on our blog.

Sorry to be the bearer of this news, but JR are very strict on this issue.

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $347.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17147 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes