Order Your JRPass
Back to Using the Japan Rail Pass

Obtaining a certificate of overseas residence

8 months ago
3 responses


I am looking to purchase a JR pass, but just noticed that to exchange it in Japan I will need to show a Certificate of Overseas Residency from the Japanese embassy in the UK... Please could someone advise how I would go about getting this, and if there is a cost?

Thank you

3 posts
8 months ago

Oh! I think this is only for Japanese nationals who live outside of Japan... is that right? My nationality is British and so would I only need to show my passport and exchange voucher to obtain the pass in Japan?

Thank you

16605 posts
8 months ago

Hi there,

Yes, this requirement is only for Japanese nationals.

For tourists who don't hold a Japanese nationality, all you need is a temporary visitor visa.

Kind regards,

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Instant Quote

Starting from $275.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 14870 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets.
Or see our range of Regional Passes