Order Your JRPass
Back to Using the Japan Rail Pass

Jr pass usage with visa for family visit

over 1 year ago
1 response


I'm going to japan with my wife to visit our relatives.
Since touristic visa are not available at the Moment I will be able to enter Japan with a visa for family visit. This visa is valid for 90 days.
Will I be able to use a jr pass with such kind of visa? As far as I understood I need a stamp in my Passport to exchange the voucher into a valid pass as well as I need a temporary visa. Both should be given, could you tell me whether I'm right or not? Thank you.

18660 posts
over 1 year ago

Hi there,

You do need a "temporary visitor visa" to use the Japan Rail Pass. As far as my information goes, this is the visa you currently receive at the embassy when applying to visit Japan for family visit. In other words, you'll be able to use the rail pass.

That said, I do recommend confirming what type of visa you'll receive with the embassy before ordering your Japan Rail Pass.

Hope this helps :)

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $339.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 16785 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes