questions & answers: using the japan rail pass

"temporary visitor" status stamp

"Temporary Visitor" status stamp


I am a Hong Kong SAR passport holder. I want to buy a JR rail pass, however it says on this page (, for the countries that are not on the list, the pass buyer will have to apply for a temporary visitor visa before they can get use the pass. Hong Kong is not on the list.

However, on the visa guide at the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (, it says "Persons holding a valid and subsisting Special Administrative Region (SAR) passport issued by the Hong Kong SAR of the People's Republic of China are exempt from the visa requirement.".

As with my previous experience, I never have to apply for a visa to go to Japan.

Could you please let me know if have to apply for any visa in order to use the JR rail pass?



Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply! Yes, you will be fine - our website instructions are out of date and we'll update these today.

You will not need to apply for a visa before you get to Japan and will be able to use the temporary visitor stamp that is automatically issued on arrival.

Thanks for pointing it out to us!

Expert button 2

Order your Japan Rail Pass Online

Starting from $258.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Please note: we are only able to handle order related enquiries via our online direct support. Commercial advertising is prohibited as per our website terms.