questions & answers: using the japan rail pass

my daughter is a studying in japan, can i buy her a pass for our visit?

My daughter is a studying in Japan, can I buy her a pass for our visit?

My daughter is attending school in Japan for 11 months but is currently on a break between terms. My wife and I are going to visit Japan for two weeks and or daughter will be travelling with us. Can I buy a rail pass for my daughter?


Hi there,

The Japan Rail Pass can only be used by visitors to Japan who arrive under a 'temporary visitor' visa. The 'temporary visitor' normally has a duration of 90 days. As your daughter is likely to be in Japan under a 'college student' (or equivalent) visa I'm afraid it's unlikely that she will be eligible for a Japan rail pass.

Due to the level of discounting on the Japan Rail Pass, JR are pretty strict about their eligibility criteria. You can find more information on the visa required for the JR Pass here:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Expert button 2

Thank you for your quick response


Order your Japan Rail Pass Online

Starting from $258.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Please note: we are only able to handle order related enquiries via our online direct support. Commercial advertising is prohibited as per our website terms.