Order Your JRPass
Siobhan13
Siobhan13
about 5 years ago
2 responses

Hi?

We are 2 adults with the below itinerary and we can’t work our which JR pass to buy.

I’m not sure if it’s worth having the JR pass for the Kumano Kodo or not?

Some of the regional passes look good too ( Kansai-Hiroshima 5 days for 13500 maybe or sanyo pass?)

Or should we just get a 2 week JR to start using from day 1 or doesn’t it do much in Tokyo?

Any thoughts?

Day 1/2
Tokyo
Day 3/4/5/
We will fly Haneda to Nanki Shirahama and travel around the Kumano Kodo route from Tanabe-Kawayu-Kosakaya-natchi no otaki-Hongu

Day6
We then plan to get the bus to Koyasan which takes 4 hours from Hongu

Day7
Koyasan to Kyoto

Day8/9
Kyoto

Day 10
Kyoto to onimichi-Mukaishima for Shinanami bike ride

Day 11
Shinanami bike

Day 12
Shinanami to Hiroshima (there’s a bus from imbari station that costs 3700yen)

Day 13 fly to Okinawa

Day 14/15/16 Okinawa

Day 17 Naha to Tokyo

Day 18 Tokyo home.

Daniel-san
18836 posts
about 5 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

I must say it is hard to match a pass to your itinerary as it is quite unusual, by that I mean I do not see many people doing the same. With that in mind, I think just buying normal tickets here would be best. A JR Pass would have been really good if you'd returned to Tokyo after Hiroshima but would not be cost-efficient, as you're flying.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Siobhan13
Siobhan13
2 posts
about 5 years ago

Thanks Daniel.

Do you think a regional pass for the Kumano-Kyoto-Hiroshima part would be worth while please?

Or maybe the Kyoto-Hiroshima bit?

I can’t work out if the local buses on the Kumano Kodo take a pass or not.

Siobhan

Daniel-san
18836 posts
about 5 years ago
Expert

Hi Siobhan,

The buses along the Kumano Kodo are not included in the JR Pass.

I think regional passes or even the JR Pass are made with a return in mind. Most travelers start to say in Tokyo and fly out of there as well. You basically go one way, which really removed a lot of value that the JR Pass can otherwise offer you. This also applies for doing a trip like Kyoto - Tokyo. I guess a Kansai - Hiroshima area Pass may just be worth it if you take the ltd. express train from Kii-katsura to Osaka and then to Kyoto/Hiroshima, though using local trains would likely give a similar amount in train fares.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $336.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17443 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes