Order Your JRPass
MariaS
MariaS
almost 5 years ago
2 responses

Hi. My boyfriend and I are going to Japan next month and are trying to decide on an itinerary. We have the following in mind:
We will be in Tokyo for a week and then:

Hiroshima 3 nights
Osaka 3 nights
a day-trip to Nara on our way to Kyoto
Kyoto 3 nights
Takayama 2 nights
Tokyo - home

We can't decide if we want 3 nights in Osaka or if we should spend a day somewhere else, perhaps a day-trip from Tokyo to Nikko before heading home? Or perhaps 1 night in Takayama is enough?

Also, would you recommend that we book all hotels beforehand, since we will be in Japan during one of the festival seasons (august)?

Thank you in advance.

Daniel-san
18835 posts
almost 5 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

For Osaka, I do think 3 nights is a good amount of time. If for some reason you do not like Osaka that much, then there are plenty of side trips you could do from there, like Nara, Kobe, Wakayama, Himeji, Kinosaki-Onsen and many more.

Takayama is quite small and one day is enough to explore it, you can consider a 2nd day for a day trip to Shirakawa-go from Takayama.

I do think it is better to book your accommodation beforehand, though most of the time it is fine to do so in Japan. Do book your accommodation well in advance if there's a festival in the place that you're staying.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

MariaS
MariaS
2 posts
almost 5 years ago

Hi
Thanks so much for your quick reply. We did think that 2 days in Takayama might be too much so I think we will go somewhere else as well. Do you reckon Nikko is worth a visit and is it easy to do so from Tokyo?

Thank you,
Maria

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $336.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17441 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes