Order Your JRPass
Back to General Japan Travel

Tourism before school

over 3 years ago
1 response

Hello! I will be attending Sapporo University as an exchange student this fall! I know that I, on a student visa, am not eligible for a rail pass, but I'm planning to come into the country a couple weeks before school will start to travel around a little.

So my question, I suppose, is this: if I come into the country the last week of August and school doesn't start until September 20, am I eligible for a jr pass during the time that I am NOT in school?

16537 posts
over 3 years ago

Hi there,

Whether you are eligible for the JR Pass or not depends on what Visa you hold. Only visitors with a single entry tourist visa can use the JR Pass. You would thus have to enter Japan using a tourist Visa.

Hope this answers your question.

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Instant Quote

Starting from $270.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 14806 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets.
Or see our range of Regional Passes