Back to General Japan Travel

Tokyo Trip in July 2019

3 months ago
3 responses

Hi Daniel-san,

My daughter, a US citizen, is going to Japan in July 2019 for summer classes for 3 weeks under her university's study abroad program. We do not know yet if she is getting a student visa or a temporary visa but getting a student visa will disqualify her from getting a JR pass. We are planning to join her in Tokyo after her summer classes for our family's 2019 family summer vacation and planning to get JR passes. What are the options for her, if she is issued a student visa and she cannot get a JR pass - she will need a JR pass or something similar for her last week in Tokyo.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Fe Dulay

15871 posts
3 months ago

Hi Fe Dulay,

Your daughter will likely just get a temporary visitor visa for a 3 week, so I expect she'll be fine using the JR Pass. That said, be sure to check.

If she does enter Japan under any other kind of visa, then you is basically considered a resident and would have to buy normal rail tickets like anyone else living in Japan.

Hope this answers your question,

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Instant Quote

Starting from $273.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 14183 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets.
Or see our range of Regional Passes