Order Your JRPass
Back to General Japan Travel

Golden Week 2020 - JR Pass - Making Train reservations - Itinerary advices

j.aroeira
j.aroeira
over 4 years ago
1 response

Hi,

My wife and I will be travelling to Japan for the first time in April 2020. We are from Brazil, and already booked our flights using our Airline miles. I know we should avoid the Golden Week in Japan, but it happened to be the time of the year we can have our vacation together and also surprisely it was also the time with the most available seats on the routes from Brazil to Japan using our miles.

We will be arriving at the Tokyo Narita Airport on April 29 and living from the same Airport on May 12. We will buy the JR Pass Green Class and our plan is to book hotels in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka and from this cities explore other places by train as well.

My biggest concern is how make it happen during the golden week 2020. Since I can only book seats on the trains when I arrive in Japan, will it be possible? Or all the seats will be sold out weeks in advance? A Green Class JR Pass will help?

Maybe staying in Tokyo until May 4 would be a good idea??? and then leave by train to Kyoto....

Besides Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, we already decided we would like to see, Nara, Himeji and Kobe. But we are still learning everything we can about Japan and discovering what we could add to our itinerary.

I appreciate if anyone with Japan experience could give us any advices.

Daniel-san
18836 posts
over 4 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

I recommend going doing a forum search and looking at similar posts regarding Golden Week. Generally you will be find booking seats when done 2-4 days in advance while you are in Japan. There are many trains per day going between the cities you want to visit and I do not think you will have any problems getting seats, provided that reservations are made in advance.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $336.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17457 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes