over 3 years ago
1 response

I will be traveling to Japan with an entertainer visa and work there for a week. After that I have a friend joining me for two more weeks and we are planning to travel around in Japan. My friend will get a JR-pass but since I'm not able to I'm now looking for options. Is my only option to buy single tickets? Or is there any option on a suica-card for a similar thing, maybe a bit more expensive, or so? I just wish to have the same freedom and fixed price as the JR-pass.
Please let me know if anyone done a similar thing and have some good advices for us to make our travel as joyful as it would have been if we both had the chance to get a JR-pass.

16455 posts
over 3 years ago

Hi there,

I am afraid that the JR Pass is only usable by people who enter Japan under a tourist visa.

Some JR companies offer local passes that are usable but these are limited by region, for instance the Tokyo Wide Pass.

The only alternative would be to buy normal tickets. You can book a ticket together with your friend, so you can still sit together.

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Instant Quote

Starting from $270.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 14734 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets.
Or see our range of Regional Passes