JRailPassUnlimited Japan Rail Travel
The Japan Rail Pass
- Single pass for all of Japan, perfect for nationwide visit
- International support 24/7 via various channels
- Ride the High Speed Shinkansen bullet trains
What is the JRailPass?
The JRailPass is your one rail ticket for the national JR Network around Japan.
Use the pass for unlimited travel on the Shinkansen bullet trains, intercity and urban lines.
Available for 7, 14 and 21 days in ordinary and Green class (First) class.
- Ordinary ClassSecond Class
- premiumGreen ClassFirst Class
How do I receive the JRail Pass?
You can place your order online, then we dispatch your order within 1 business day using FedEx or UPS. Delivery time can vary by location and country. For details check our delivery page.
Am I eligible for the JRail Pass?
To be eligible for the Japan Rail Pass, you need to be a visitor to Japan for tourism, under a “temporary visitor visa”. For details see our JR Pass eligibility page.
Frequently Asked Questions for the Japan Rail Pass
- Are Child passes available / is there a discount for children?
Yes, children between the ages of 6-11 receive a 50% discount on the Japan Rail Pass.
- Can I receive the Japan Rail Pass in Japan?
Yes, we can deliver to your accommodation. A signature is required, this can be done by reception. We recommend informing your accommodation that you are expecting a package in advance.
- Can I use my JR Pass to/from the Airport?
Yes, the Japan Rail Pass includes travel to all major airports, like Narita airport, Haneda Airport, Kansai Airport and Shin-Chitose Airport.
- Can I book train tickets for Japan in advance?
Yes, train tickets can be reserved at any JR Station, once you have activated the Japan Rail Pass. A limited amount of trains can also be reserved online in advance. See our blog for details.
- Is the JRail Pass usable with breaks? Or is it counted in consecutive days.
The Japan Rail Pass is counted in consecutive days, in other words it will count down from the first day that you activate it.
- When to buy the JR Pass?
The JRail Pass can be purchased at any date starting 3 months before your travel. For instance, if your Japan Rail Pass is issued on May 1st, then the pass will need to be activated by July 31st.
- Is it Japan Rail Pass, JRail Pass or JR Pass?
The official name is Japan Rail Pass, JRail Pass and JRPass are simply a shorter name for the same rail ticket.
- Can I use the Japan Rail Pass from Tokyo to Kyoto?
Yes, you can ride the bullet train directly from Tokyo to Kyoto. The fastest service covered by the JR Pass is the Hikari train service.
- How much is the Japan Rail Pass?
The price is set in Yen but depends on the exchange rate for your own currency. See the order your Japan Rail Pass page online for the current rate.
Need a guide on how to use your Japan Rail Pass?
How to travel to and from Narita Airport using the JR Pass.
Here’s our guide to getting into Tokyo from Narita Airport, listing all options by price and comfort.
Riding the Shinkansen with the JR Pass
This guide can help visitors traveling to Japan navigate the railway system by defining the routes through each Japanese region.
7-day JRPass Itinerary: Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka
The best 7-day Japan itinerary for first time visitors
14-day JR Pass itinerary: Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Hakone
From Tokyo all the way down the southern Kyushu, this itinerary offers variety of top experiences Japan has to offer in combination with a 14 day JR Pass.
Japan Rail Pass reviews
Read thousands of verified Japan Rail Pass reviews
- “Getting the JR Pass was one of the best things we did in preparation for our trip to Japan. We were able to use the JR routes in Chiba, as well as in and out of Tokyo, to Hiroshima, Kyoto, Kobe, and other places. It was so easy to show our pass and board the train for an exciting adventure. Not only did we enjoy a comfortable, clean mode of transportation, we got to see the countryside as well! Our JR Pass certainly was a very convienent addition to our trip.”
With an independent customer satisfaction rating of over 99% you can order with confidence.Read 39810 customer reviews
Additional services at JRPass
Use our High Speed
Mobile WiFi connection
Stay in touch while traveling
Keep your friends up-to-date while traveling across Japan and never loose access to direct information on your surrounding itineraries. Device supports up to 12 hours of uptime while fully charged and is very easy to use. Make the most of your visit, travel with your uninterupted internet access.
- Unlimited data
- 4G connection in 97% of Japan
- Get relevant Itinerary information on the go
- No extra fees
JR Pass Meet & Greet
Get the best possible start of your Japan trip with our Meet and Greet service. We'll be waiting for you right after arrivals, help you exchange the Japan Rail Pass, take care of any business you might have at the airport and personally escort you to your onward method of transport.
- Meet and Greet service
- Passenger transfer
- No-stress introduction to Japan
- Assistance and support