The Sapporo beer museum is the old iconic brewery of the beer that carries the name of the city it is brewed in it. Explore its history, tasting included!
Introduction to the Sapporo Beer museum
With a history dating back to 1876, Sapporo beer is the oldest brewery and beer brand in Japan. Dating back to the Meiji era when Japan was rapidly industrializing by taking example from the West and invited highly qualified individuals from around the world to help build the future of Japan. So too with Sapporo Beer, that became a marriage between local craft, inspired by German brewing tradition and American industrialism.
The museum is the original brewery building that was in service between 1876 and 1965. A visit takes you through the beer brewing process, the history of Sapporo beer and what makes the beer taste special. Admission to the museum is free, and there’s a beer tasting option after completing the museum course. Tours in Japanese and English are also available.
Attached to the museum is a large traditional beer hall, that services local Hokkaido dishes. The beer hall is famous for its all you can eat and drink menu options. Including the local meat heavy dish called Jingisukan (called after the Genghis Khan).
There’s a good range of different beers to choose from.
- Sapporo Draft Beer Kuro Label: 300 JPY
- Hokkaido exclusive: Sapporo Classic: 300 JPY
- Kaitakushi Beer: 350 JPY
- Three drink tasting set: 800 JPY
- Non-alcoholic beer: 200 JPY
- Soft drinks: 100 JPY
How to access the Sapporo beer museum
The museum is closed located to the JR Naebo station, and can be reached on foot in about 5 minutes. JR Naebo station is just one stop away from Sapporo station and is included in the Japan Rail Pass.
Tips for visiting
- Bring your ID, this is to verify your drinking age for tasting.
- Order snacks with your tasting, Hokkaido produces some fabulous cheese.
- There is a souvenir shop, buy your beer to bring home here, or some for on the train later.
- Explore the close by mall, with good shopping and dining options.