The Japan Rail Pass (also known as 'JR Pass') can be used on Japan Rail operated trains (including Shinkansen), buses and ferries across the whole of Japan. Current validity details can also be found here.
Children between 6 and 11 years old at the time of initial train travel qualify for child tickets. If they are younger than 6 and do not require their own seat, then your child is able to travel free across the JR network. You can learn more about the JR pass, including usage conditions and coverage here.
- The Pass is valid for the railways, buses and ferry boats shown below.
All JR Group Railways Shinkansen "bullet trains" (except any reserved or non-reserved seat on "Nozomi" and "Mizuho" trains), limited express trains, express trains, and rapid or local trains. (With some exceptions). Japan Rail Pass can also be used for the Tokyo monorail. The Japan Rail Pass is confirmed as valid for the Hayabusa and Sakura Shinkansen services.
Local lines of JR bus companies (JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Bus Tohoku, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokai Bus, West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Shikoku Bus, JR Kyushu Bus).
Only the JR Miyajima ferry is covered. Please note, the JR Hakata-Pusan (Korea) ferry is not covered.
- An XO must be turned in for a Japan Rail Pass within 3 months of the date of issue. At that time the passenger must specify the date they want to start using the Pass. It can be any date within one month of the date the Japan Rail Pass is received.
- The validity period of a Japan Rail Pass is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days beginning on the date the pass can actually be first used.
- Once the Pass has a starting date on it, the date can not be changed.
What is an Exchange Order?
- An Exchange Order (XO) must be purchased from an authorised agent before entering Japan.
- Once in Japan the passenger named on the XO should go to any of the Rail Pass exchange offices located in major train stations and international airports (Narita, New Chitose and Kansai), and turn in the XO for a Japan Rail Pass.
- An XO must be exchanged for a Japan Rail Pass within 3 months of the date of issue. At that time the passenger should specify the date they would like to start using their Japan Rail Pass. It can be any date within one month from the date of exchange.
- An XO and Pass are only valid for the person named on the XO and Japan Rail Pass and are not transferable.
- A Passenger must carry their passport with them and show it to the station clerk when requested.