Order Your JRPass
Back to Using the Japan Rail Pass

Travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto on Aug 26 2012

james
james
almost 12 years ago
4 responses

I fly into Tokyo airport on Aug 26, 2012 arriving at 1pm. Can I purchase a JRPass from Tokyo airport to Kyoto on Aug 26 and travel to Kyoto the same day? Does the train leave from the Tokyo airport? If so what is the departing schedule and when does it arrive in Kyoto?

mari
1950 posts
almost 12 years ago
Expert

Hi James,

The JRPass is only available for purchase outside Japan, you can buy a japan rail pass online here. For Kyoto from Tokyo Narita Airport you'll first need to travel into the bullet train terminal at Tokyo station and then board a bullet train. Here is a sample itinerary for you with times and prices.

Hope this helps!

james
james
4 posts
almost 12 years ago

Thanks Mari that does help however the timetable you gave me is for earlier in the day.

My flight doesn't arrive in Tokyo until 1pm on Aug 26. How long does it take to get from Tokyo Narita Airport to the bullet train terminal at Tokyo station? Can you please provide me with a bullet train schedule leaving Tokyo station from 1pm on Aug 26?

Many thanks.

mari
1950 posts
almost 12 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

You can alter the time/date and so on at the bottom of the search page to find different times/dates. Here's an adjusted example.

Hope this helps!

james
james
4 posts
almost 12 years ago

That's great Mari - thank you!

One final questions... I am currently travelling the world and I do not have a permanent address. Can I pick the ticket up from a ticket office at Tokyo airport? If not can I have the ticket emailed to me?

mari
1950 posts
almost 12 years ago
Expert

Hi James,

I'm afraid the Japan Rail Pass is a physical ticket and must be mailed to you. If you do know where you will be staying in Japan we can mail your rail pass there. Please note that if you do select this option it is a good idea to inform your hosts that you will be expecting a Fedex delivery.

Hope this helps!

james
james
4 posts
almost 12 years ago

That wont work for me.... I arrive in Tokyo from London and want to go directly to Kyoto. Is the JRPass the only way I can ride the train or is there another way?

mari
1950 posts
almost 12 years ago
Expert

In that case you have 3 options I think:

1. Purchase JR tickets as needed and travel down to Kyoto by bullet train.
  2. Get a connecting flight from Narita to Kansai airport and then use the train system from there.
  3. Get a highway bus service from Tokyo to Kyoto

Of these options, the bus service will be cheapest, but will require the most time (and may not be the best after a flight from London). You should enquire with your airline as to the costs for internal connecting flights, sometimes these can be reasonable but it will depend on your air ticket type.

Hope this helps!

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes