questions & answers: using the japan rail pass

student visa - change of status of residence

Student visa - change of status of residence

I came to Japan on a six month study exchange under the Student Visa. At the end of the study period I'm planning to change my Status of Residence to Temporary Visitor in purpose of Tourism. Will I be eligible for the Rail Pass after the change of Status of Residence? If so are any additional documents required?


Hi Bombush,

As long as the visa in your passport is one of Temporary Visitor, you will be eligible for the JR Pass. To see more details on the visa stamp you will need in your passport, you should check the official validity page:

Good luck!

Expert button 2

Thank you.


Order your Japan Rail Pass Online

Starting from $258.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Please note: we are only able to handle order related enquiries via our online direct support. Commercial advertising is prohibited as per our website terms.