questions & answers: using the japan rail pass

pasmo or jr pass

Pasmo or JR Pass


I'm going to be travelling only in Tokyo area. Should i be getting Pasmo or JR Pass instead ? I would like to go around without having to purchase different tickets.

Thanks for your help.


Hi there,

I would stick to buying normal tickets (or an IC card like Pasmo) if you only plan to stay around Tokyo. A JR Pass is best used for longer distances.

IC are basically the same these days, the Pasmo, Suica or any other major IC card can be used interchangeably.

Hope this helps,

Expert button 2

Order your Japan Rail Pass Online

Starting from $255.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Please note: We are only able to handle order related enquiries via our online direct support. Commercial advertising is prohibited as per our website terms