questions & answers: using the japan rail pass

my partners documentation.

My partners documentation.

My partner, a Japanese national, has lived in NZ for 24 years and has had NZ Residency since 1995. I know she is entitled to use the rail pass when we return in September but will have to show documentation to prove she is resident. She of course has her passport that shows that, with various visas and country entry and exit stamps. What other documentation will she need to satisfy your requirements?


Hi there,

Documentation for Japanese nationals is two fold, one is that you have to prove that this person is allowed to stay in a country for a longer period of time. A passport is fine for this. The 2nd part is that you will have to prove residence. For a tax slip or utility bill is helpful.

If you want to be sure, please mail us the documents at and we will check them for you.

Hope this helps!

Expert button 2

Order your Japan Rail Pass Online

Starting from $258.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Please note: we are only able to handle order related enquiries via our online direct support. Commercial advertising is prohibited as per our website terms.