questions & answers: using the japan rail pass

my japanese wife

My Japanese wife

Hi, I'm italian , I'm making a plan to travel in Japan with my Japanese wife. I wanted to buy a railpass for me and one for my wife , is it this possible?
My wife is living with me in Italy and she has Japanese passport and identity card with her family name but on the wedding certificate she has my surname. Which documents are needed to get rail pass for her?
Thank you!


Hi there,

Yes, she can use the JR Pass. However it is of utmost importance that you bring proof that she lives outside of Japan. A marriage certificate + proof of address in Italy are required.

For the exact details see (Japanese passport holders section):

Hope this helps,

Expert button 2

Order your Japan Rail Pass Online

Starting from $257.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Please note: we are only able to handle order related enquiries via our online direct support. Commercial advertising is prohibited as per our website terms.