questions & answers: using the japan rail pass

jrpass and spouse visa

JRPASS and spouse visa

I am an Australian citizen and will be traveling to Japan with my Japanese wife and our children for four months. I will have a spouse visa, not a tourist visa, and I am wondering if I will be able to get a JRRAIL pass with this type of visa.

Thanks in advance for any help.



Hi Peter,

I'm afraid the Japan Rail Pass is very strict about visa regulations surrounding it's use. For non-Japanese the only way to use a JR Pass is if you enter the country using a Temporary Visitor visa (even though Japanese living permanently overseas do not have this limitation). If you enter under a Temporary Visitor visa you would be eligible, so I recommend this if your plans allow.

Hope this helps!

Expert button 2

Order your Japan Rail Pass Online

Starting from $254.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Please note: we are only able to handle order related enquiries via our online direct support. Commercial advertising is prohibited as per our website terms.