Order Your JRPass
Back to Using the Japan Rail Pass

JR Rail Pass during Golden week 2018

Yhell
Yhell
about 6 years ago
2 responses

Hi

I am arriving at Kansai International Airport on May 1 at 8:35 am. I have a layover of 1h45min before going to Okinawa. So I was wondering if I could already activate my JR Rail Pass at the airport and reserve my seat for my next trips during Golden Week. Or would it not be a problem to activate my JR Rail Pass on May 4 before leaving to Aomori? I really want to see the Cherry Blossoms!!

My itinerary:
May 1-3: Kansai International Airport -> Okinawa
May 3: flight from Okinawa to Haneda (arrival time 9:30pm)
May 4: Tokyo -> Aomori (Cherry Blossom Festival) -> Tokyo
May 5: Tokyo
May 6: Tokyo
May 7: Tokyo -> Osaka -> Kyoto (day trip) -> Osaka
May 8: Osaka
May 9: Osaka flight Kansai Airport -> Shanghai

I know it's a quite hectic itinerary, but if I'm going to buy the JR Rail Pass then I want to make the most out of it! The dates after May 3 are not fixed yet and can be changed. Thanks!

Daniel-san
18836 posts
about 6 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

1h45min is not a ton of time to traverse immigration go out of the airport to the JR Station, get the pass exchanged and then go back trough security. It is possible on a quiet day but there may be queues everywhere. Personally, I'd not risk it and exchange the pass in Tokyo but that's up to you :)

If May 4th is fully booked, then you could just go a day later to Aomori :)

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Yhell
Yhell
2 posts
about 6 years ago

Thank you very much for your advice!

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $333.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17458 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes