Order Your JRPass
Back to Using the Japan Rail Pass

Japan holiday October 2015

robyn orloff
robyn orloff
over 8 years ago
3 responses

Hi . There are three of us travelling to Japan for 10 days in October. We land in Narita. We are going to buy a 7 day JR pass but will not activate it u till we are 3 days into our trip so we will buy the 7 day pass. (can we activate it at any train station in Tokyo?) Therefore when we travel from Narita to Tokyo on the Narita express we won't be able to use it. I know this trip separately costs about AUD $35.00. We are then in Tokyo for 6 days and for the first three days we would just buy day tickets. We are then hoping to go to Hakone after that and we will use the pass and continue using it for the rest of our trip which incorporates a trip from Tokyo to Kyoto, Nara and back to Narita. Does this sound right??
Could you please tell me which train we would catch from Tokyo to Kyoto using the JR pass? And also which train do we take from Kyoto back to Narita using this pass. Where shall I find the timetables for this too. Thank you.

Robyn

Daniel-san
18832 posts
over 8 years ago
Expert

Hi Robyn,

I recommend learning to plan with Hyperdia, this way you can find trains, time tables, route information and much more and yes - your itinerary does sound right!

Going from Tokyo to Kyoto. You can use the Hikari Shinkansen directly from Tokyo station. There's a train departing at least every 30 minutes.

Hope this helps!
Daniel

robyn orloff
robyn orloff
3 posts
over 8 years ago

thanks Daniel. Much appreciated.

robyn orloff
robyn orloff
3 posts
over 8 years ago

Hi also, do you know if you have a JR pass, do you need to book a seat on a train i.e. from Tokyo to Kyoto or Kyoto to Narita or do you just hop on? I have travelled a lot but for some reason, I find Japan a bit confusing. But once I know, it will be easy.

Do you have any recommendations for a traditional onset in Hakone? Just to go to hakone for the day. And what would your suggested itinerary be?

Daniel-san
18832 posts
over 8 years ago
Expert

Hi again!

You can either reserve a seat or just hop on. Although I do recommend making seat reservations in advance, this just makes travel a lot more convenient.

For Hakone, consider making the round trip using a Hakone Free Pass. This will give you different sights to see and have a good day trip. See this page for more details.

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17323 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes