questions & answers: using the japan rail pass

japan exchange students in u.s. group?

Japan exchange students in U.S. group?

Two Japanese exchange students at an American college will be traveling in Japan for 1 week with a college-sponsored tour for 5 other American college students and instructors. Since they are on extended student visas in America, can they buy and use the Japan Rail Pass as the rest of the Americans in their group are planning? They have current American addresses at the college, but still hold Japanese passports.


Hi there,

Only if they can bring proof of actual residence and a permanent visa or green card. I am afraid that a student visa would not qualify for this.

For the full details on eligibility please see:

Hope this helps!

Expert button 2

Order your Japan Rail Pass Online

Starting from $258.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Please note: we are only able to handle order related enquiries via our online direct support. Commercial advertising is prohibited as per our website terms.