questions & answers: using the japan rail pass

i have dual citizenship

I have dual citizenship

I have dual citizenship form Mexico and United States. I was born in Mexico but I have US passport. When it ask me my nationality to purchase JR Rail Pass do I use were I was born or the passport I am going to use?


Hi there,

It does not really matter but you should use your passport that you will use to enter Japan. For the JR clerk that will exchange your JR Pass, it only matters that you are a.) Holder of a foreign (non-Japanese) Passport. b.) Entered Japan using a tourist visa for sightseeing purposes.

Hope this helps,

Expert button 2

Order your Japan Rail Pass Online

Starting from $262.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Please note: we are only able to handle order related enquiries via our online direct support. Commercial advertising is prohibited as per our website terms.