Order Your JRPass
Back to Using the Japan Rail Pass

Hokuriku Shinkansen - April 2015

Jeremy1975
Jeremy1975
about 9 years ago
5 responses

I'm travelling to Japan in April 2015 and would like to travel from Tokyo to Kanazawa. I understand this isn't currently (Feb 2015) possible, but will be possible in April after the Hokuriku Shinkansen line extension opens in mid-March.

If I purchase a two week pass to cover my time in Japan in April, will this cover travel on the new line to Kanazawa?

I'll also be travelling with a bicycle that I'll pack completely into a 'shinkansen approved' (Tioga cocoon) bag for travel on the train. Will the Pass cover me for travel with a bike or is luggage handled separately?

Toraneko
Toraneko
1303 posts
about 9 years ago

Yes, the pass will cover the shinkansen to Kanazawa. And yes, you can bring your bike with you if it's bagged up. If you have a lot in addition to that, you might look into a luggage delivery service (takyubin) which is not too expensive.
Kanazawa is a great city worth a couple of days to see - don't miss the Kenrokuen garden - it's one of Japan's finest.

Daniel-san
18830 posts
about 9 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

Yes, as Toraneko already wrote, the new Hokuriku Shinkansen are covered by the JR Pass. I would recommend reserving seats a couple of days in advance, as tickets are selling out very quickly.

Bicycles in general may be taken aboard but need to be completely packed up, or you won't be able to take it with you.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Jeremy1975
Jeremy1975
5 posts
about 9 years ago

Thanks very much to both of you for the info. I'll be sure to add Kenrokuen garden to my itinerary.

Daniel, when you say you would recommend reserving seats, do you know if this can be done with a JRPass? I fly in to Tokyo on April 6th and plan on taking the Shinkansen to Kanazawa on 7th. I would therefore need to reserve my seat whilst still in England? I plan on buying my JRPass in the next week or two and would happily book the train journey and seat from the UK if it is possible.

Thanks,
Jez

Daniel-san
18830 posts
about 9 years ago
Expert

Hi Jez,

Yes you can make a reservation beforehand for this line. This can be done via:
http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/common/Menu/Menu.aspx

Note that you have to pick up your reserved ticket the day beforehand before 9:00 pm. This can be done at any JR station, including Narita Airport. Tickets can be reserved 1month in advance, so you may do so around the 8th of March.

Be sure to read the website carefully, there are a couple of rules and restrictions.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Jeremy1975
Jeremy1975
5 posts
about 9 years ago

Hi, thanks for the link Daniel.

I'm now within 1 month of my travel date (7th April) and would like to book my ticket from Tokyo to Kanazawa.

I can't see how to make a reservation from Tokyo to Kanazawa using the link though. The train I would like to book is:

Kagayaki 507 - leaving Tokyo at 09:32 and arriving in Kanazawa at 12:06

I can see this by viewing the timetable for the Hokuriku line. But the form doesn't let me select Kanazawa as a destination. Is this because JR-East only lets me book certain stations that are within the JR-East network? Or is it that the extension to the Hokuriku line isn't open yet and the station details aren't on the website yet?

Daniel-san
18830 posts
about 9 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

The last time I checked it, Kanazawa was there. Now I did it again but it was not there. Maybe it has something to do with the area traveled in. I'll contact JR East and will update if I get a replay.

All the best,
Daniel

Jeremy1975
Jeremy1975
5 posts
about 9 years ago

Hi,

I can see the route and train I'm interested in (Kagayaki 507 0932-12:06) on the JR-West website, using the timetable page below and putting in Tokyo to Kanazawa:

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/timetable/

Does anyone know if there is a reservation page for JR-West - as there is with the JR-East link in Daniel's earlier post? I can't seem to find a JR-West reservation form :o(

Daniel-san
18830 posts
about 9 years ago
Expert

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry I don't have an update yet on JR East.

JR East however is the only JR company which offers a reservations service as linked above. So let's hope that the route to Kanazawa is coming back :)

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17323 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes