Order Your JRPass
Back to Using the Japan Rail Pass

HAMANASU SLEEPER TRAIN DECEMBER 2014

jepang
jepang
over 9 years ago
7 responses

hi
i will be travelling to Japan on 10 december 2014 for the first time.
i googled and found out that the express hamanasu from sapporo to tokyo will be suspended on december 14, which is my travel date..so can someone verify this info or can advise me to on how to take the day train on 14dec?

i really appreciate your responses
thank you

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 9 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

The Hamanasu is going to retire sooner or later but I don't think it will be this December. I checked the JR Hokkaido Timetable and it seems to be on there.

If you did read about it retiring, could you post the link and I will check it (Japanese is okay).

Hope this helps,
Daniel

jepang
jepang
7 posts
over 9 years ago

hi daniel-san

this is the link: (stated that hamanasu from sapporo will not available on 14dec 2014)
http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/ttable/08.pdf

but in this new link,is stated that there will be hamanasu with changes of schedule~

http://jprail.com/travel-informations/seasonal-trains-schedule/suspension-and-schedule-change-of-overnight-trains-hokutosei-cassiopeia-and-hamanasu.html

"Arrival time of Hamanasu at Aomori will be changed on the following dates: October 6, 9, 16, 25, 26 and 30, 2014
November 2, 3, 7, 9, 10, 13, 15, 16 and 19, 2014
December 6, 7, 14, 21, 28, 29, 30 and 31, 2014
January 7, 8, 9, 15, 16 and 17, 2015

Hamanasu will arrive Aomori at 6:15. Originally Hamanasu arrives at 5:39 and connect to Hayabusa 4 (06:17 / Shin-Amori). But you cannot catch Hayabusa 4 from changed schedule of Hamanasu. You have to take Hamanasu 8 (6:49 @ Shin–Aomori).

so,is it safe to assume that there will be the night train on 14 dec?

thanks for your respond ^^

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 9 years ago
Expert

Hello there,

I see that it will not be departing on the 15th, however the 14th seems to be safe.

Enjoy the ride!
Daniel

jepang
jepang
7 posts
over 9 years ago

im so relieved to hear that :)

one more thing that still bothering me;
regarding the first link i have posted,the train from tokyo to sapporo

1)is it possible to take 18.20 train to shin aomori ,transfer to amori and take hamanasu on 22.18 (i just have 10minutes to transfer to hamanasu train at aomori station)..i prefer 18.20 train because i wanted to see tokyo tower during night time (maybe around 4-5pm)
or 2)take 16.20 train to shin aomori,so that i can reach aomori station early and wait for the hamanasu train

which one you would recommend me
thanks you so much for the advise :D

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 9 years ago
Expert

Hi again!

Yes this is possible, however I'd advising taking a train earlier, this will give you extra time to make the transfer and you'll be sure to make the transfer, it's rare but delays can occur. You could always explore Aomori a little, there's also a Starbucks at Aomori station, where you could just chill out a little before getting on the train.

jepang
jepang
7 posts
over 9 years ago

arigatou for the tips
really help me a lot,daniel :)
hi japan!see you soon!!!

jepang
jepang
7 posts
over 9 years ago

hi again
since we can only make train reservation when we are IN japan,
is there a possibilty that the night train(to sapporo) will be fully booked on 10december since we will arrive(tokyo) and make the reservation only in the morning(10december).we are okay about any type of seats that is free for jr pass

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 9 years ago
Expert

Hi again!

Yes it is possible to the train will be sold out days in advance. There are two wagons with non-reserved seats, so you could always come early to the train station and queue up for a seat. I don't know how much time in advance is required but 2 hours may be needed in case many people share the same idea.

Every train platform is exactly marked where each train car will stop, so it's normal for people to queue up in advance.The train layout can be found here.

jepang
jepang
7 posts
over 9 years ago

I lost my jr pass.im dead!!!no money to buy new one!and im at furano!what a scene..but i had reserved the hamanasu etc...what can i do right now.according to plan,tomorrow i will go to sapporo from furano.and 15 dec hamasu n train to kyoto..coz there is no hamanasu on 14 dec..but i have lost my jr pass..

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 9 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

I am very sorry to hear about this! Although there's little I can do directly for you, I'd advise asking around the place where you lost it and see if anyone has found it. Japan is a country where missing things often are found. Otherwise look at using buses / local trains to save costs on normal tickets.

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with!
-Daniel

jepang
jepang
7 posts
over 9 years ago

hi daniel
all is well now
i managed to buy promotion flight ticket (jetstar) from shin chitose to osaka for only 10440yen for 2people.thank god!
btw,japan is so incredible!will visit again!
thanks once again :D

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 9 years ago
Expert

Hi again!

Glad to hear everything went turned out well!

Make the most of your days while you are there!
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes