questions & answers: using the japan rail pass

can my son who is a jet use the jr pass?

Can my son who is a JET use the JR Pass?

My son is currently living in Japan as a JET. He has a Visa for more than 3 months to teach English in Japan and is a USA citizen. Can he use a JR pass?


Hi there,

For holders of non-Japanese passports, the Japan Rail Pass is only available to holders of the 90 day "temporary visitor" entry status visa. As your son will be in Japan under a working visa (or JET equivalent), I'm afraid he will not be able to use the JR Pass.

Sorry to be the bearer of such news!

Expert button 2

Order your Japan Rail Pass Online

Starting from $258.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Please note: we are only able to handle order related enquiries via our online direct support. Commercial advertising is prohibited as per our website terms.