Order Your JRPass
Back to Itinerary check

Travel to Japan in Nov 2013

gladqls
gladqls
over 10 years ago
4 responses

Hi,

My husband and I will be travelling to Japan in Nov 2013 and the following is our itinerary. We will be flying in and out of Narita airport. As we do not wish to change accomodation frequently, we decided to only stay in 3 main places and take day trips.

Appreciate if you can help us with the following queries:

(1) Is our itinerary do-able? (2) Is it worth getting a 14-day JR pass as we are aware that it needs to be used on consecutive days (3) Are all the places we planned to visit covered in our JR pass?

Thank you very much.

Regards
Gladys

Days 1 to 6 - Staying in Osaka
Days 7 to 8 - Staying at Kanazawa
Days 9 to 15 - Staying in Tokyo

Full Itinerary
Day 1 Arrival at Narita airport/Travel from Tokyo to Osaka
Day 2 Nara (day trip)
Day 3 Universal Studio Japan (day trip)
Day 4 Kyoto - Eastern & Central (day trip)
Day 5 Kyoto - Western (day trip)
Day 6 Hiroshima/Miyajima (day trip)
Day 7 Check out of Osaka/Check into Kanazawa
Day 8 Kanazawa
Day 9 Check out of Kanazawa/Check into Tokyo
Day 10 Tokyo
Day 11 Tokyo Disneyland (day trip)
Day 12 Kamakura or Yokohama (day trip)
Day 13 Nikko (day trip)
Day 14 Mt Fuji, Hakone (day trip)
Day 15 Tokyo
Day 16 Flight home from Narita

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 10 years ago
Expert

Hi Gladys

1.) Yes this itinarary is certainly doable, not just that, as I think it is actually I pretty relaxed way of seeing things. It's also a good idea to travel on the Osaka on day one as you may already be sleepy, so you could relax on the train and get some travel out of the way already.

2.) Yes a 14 day JR Pass would be a great idea for your plans, this because the JRPass will quickly pay for itself, you will already start making savings with the JR Pass if you travel Tokyo - Osaka - Hiroshima - Kyoto - Tokyo and your itinerary includes a lot more travel.

3.) Nearly all travel on your list is covered by the JR Pass, the only part where you may have to pay a little extra is when you visit Hakone. You can take the bullet train right up to the front door of Hakone, which is the station Odawara, from there however only private railways and buses go into the area and an additional fee may be required.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!
Daniel

gladqls
gladqls
4 posts
over 10 years ago

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your prompt reply. It is much appreciated.

And yes, would appreciate your help again on taking the Shinkansen to Osaka on the day we arrive as I get very confused trying to use Hyperdia as it gives me so many options.

Can you help me with the quickest way to Nankai Osaka from Narita Airport Terminal 2? I understand from the hotel that we would need to stop at Namba station? It would be great if you could provide me the link in Hyperdia for the exact route. Thank you.

It would also be great if you could help me with the the other major routes using Shinkansen:
(1) From Osaka to Kanazawa Station (2) From Kanazawa to Asakusa Station in Tokyo.

As we would have exceeded our 14 days pass on the last day that we leave for Narita airport, can you suggest the most economical train route to Narita airport to fly home?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Gladys

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 10 years ago
Expert

Hi Gladys,

Is your Hotel called Nankai? I looked it up and it is very close to JR-Namba, you could certainly walk from there or take a taxi if you have a lot of luggage. Here is the route in Hyperdia. Basically take the Narita Express to Tokyo station, where you transfer to the Shinkansen bound for Shin-Osaka. From Shin-Osaka there's local trains going to JR-Namba.

From Osaka - Kanazawa. There's no Shinkansen connection to Kanazawa yet but there's a really cool limited express going there, called the Thunder Bird. This train is a direct connection between Osaka - Kanazawa and also stops at Kyoto.

From Kanazawa - Asakusa (Tokyo). Take a limited express train to ECHIGO-YUZAWA / Nagoya and get on the Shinkansen from here. Once in Tokyo take the Yamanote line to Ueno station, from Ueno take the Tokyo metro Ginza line to Asakusa (Metro not covered by JR Pass).

Going back to Narita from Asakusa, consider this route it's very economical and sometimes the train goes directly from Asakusa to Narita Airport.

I hope this helps!
Daniel

gladqls
gladqls
4 posts
over 10 years ago

Hi Daniel,

Yes it helps! Thank you! We will be staying at the Fraser Residence, Nankai Osaka. Was informed that I should stop at Namba station. Is it possible to walk from the station to the apartment?

I will look up the links you have provided and if i have any further queries, I will drop you a note. Thanks!

Regards
Gladys

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 10 years ago
Expert

Hi Again!

I looked up Fraser Residence and it is less than 10 min walk (prob 5) from JR-Namba.

Feel free to post further queries when you have them!

All the best
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes