Order Your JRPass
Back to Itinerary check

Tokyo > Mt Fuji > Kyoto > Tokyo

claytonyan
claytonyan
about 6 years ago
1 response

Hi there!

My wife and I are flying into Tokyo on March 29 and flying back out on April 8th. We're thinking about spending a few days in Tokyo, visiting Mt Fuji (Haven't decided Five Lakes or Hakone), then on to Kyoto for a few days, then all the way back to Tokyo to wrap up the trip.

I'm looking at all the different passes but admittedly am a bit confused! Should I be just getting the JR Pass? Help!

Daniel-san
18835 posts
about 6 years ago
Expert

Hello there,

A 7 day JR Pass can be a nice option if you can include Tokyo - Fuji - Kyoto - Tokyo within the 7 day validity period. You can use the JR Pass and Shinkansen easily reach Hakone via Odawara station. Admittedly, the JR Pass is not valid within Hakone but you can use it to Hakone and again for the Shinkansen from Odawara to Kyoto.

Both Fuji Five lakes and Hakone are nice visits. In general, I would advice visiting Hakone over Kawaguchiko and Fuji 5 lakes, this because there is much more to do in Hakone and it is fun to visit the area on a day when the weather is not so good too. While you would just be looking at some grey lakes and Fuji is nowhere to be seen on a bad day. Add to that much easier access to Hakone with the JR Pass and it is an easy pick (at least if you ask me).

The JR Pass is also a good choice if you are not fully sure yet what you want to do. You get unlimited travel and can hop go anywhere if the fancy takes you. Think of a side trip to Yokohama or Nikko from Tokyo, or Osaka, Himeji, Kobe or even Hiroshima from Osaka.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes