Order Your JRPass
Back to Itinerary check

Tokyo, Kyoto to Yamagata 31.5-4.6

msj649
msj649
almost 10 years ago
2 responses

I am arriving in Tokyo from the USA 31 May and planned to stay until the morning of 2 June. Then I planned to travel to Kyoto until the morning of 4 June, when I must travel to Yamagata for a conference.

Should I switch my order and travel directly to Kyoto once I arrive in Japan, and make my way north via Tokyo? My flight arrives mid-afternoon: will there be trains still traveling to Kyoto?

Daniel-san
18817 posts
almost 10 years ago
Expert

Hi there!

You could either stay in Tokyo upon arrival or travel to Kyoto. The last train from Narita Airport possible with the JR Pass departs at 18:48 from Narita Airport, so you should have enough time to make the trip if you arrive in the mid-afternoon.

Personally I would probably travel to Tokyo, enjoy a good Japanese dinner, recover a little from the flight and travel on the following morning.

Hope this helps!
Daniel

msj649
msj649
2 posts
almost 10 years ago

Thank you! I have decided to stay in Tokyo until June 2, then will take the train to Kyoto. On June 4 I will take te train to Yamagata, north of Tokyo. These are the only long trips by train, though I expect to use the pass to visit sites in and around Kyoto. Is the price of the JR pass worth it or should I just purchase individual fares for those trips?

Daniel-san
18817 posts
almost 10 years ago
Expert

Hello again!

I would certainly recommend a JR Pass.

Tokyo - Kyoto is ¥ 13,400
Kyoto - Yamagata is ¥ 21,590

For a total of ¥ 34,990 or ¥ 5,880 in savings as the 7 day JR Pass is ¥ 29,110. Any additional travel would only add more to your savings.

Does that help?
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $345.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17273 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes