Order Your JRPass
Back to Itinerary check

My Japan itinerary in December 2015

albe2905
albe2905
over 8 years ago
2 responses

Hey Guys,

I will travel to Japan with two friends by 21.December - 1.January with backpack and the JR Rail pass for whole Japan.

Our first itinerary that we planned last evening is this:

21.12 Flight from Germany -> Tokio, Narita

22.12 approx. 3 pm in Tokio | stay night in Tokio
23.12 take a bus Tokio (shibuya i think) to Hakone, spend day in Hakone | stay night in Hakone
24.12 we would like to hike from Hakone to Odawara / Train Odawara -> Nara | Stay night in Nara

• start date of the Japan Rail Pass

25.12 Take the Train Nara - Kyoto | Stay night in Kyoto
26.12 Spend whole day in Kyoto | Stay night in Kyoto
27.12 take a early Train Kyoto -> Nagano, spend day in Nagano | Stay Night in Nagano
28.12 Spend whole day in Nagano | Stay Night in Nagano
29.12 Take the Train Nagano -> Nikko | Stay night in Nikko
30.12 spend whole day in Nikko | Stay Night in Nikko
31.12 Take the Train Nikko -> Tokio | Spend night in Toki

• End date of the Japan Rail Pass

01.01 Departure back to Germany, Tokio -> Narita

We will not travel forcing this route.. think if we like a place a lot, we could stay two or three nights and we would cancel a city from our list. its more relaxing being flexible.

My Question is, is this Itinerary (un)realistic, would you cancel a city from the list?

I think its financially better if we buy a 7 days Ticket, and move in Tokyo by feet and in case of long distances from shibuya to shinjuku we buy a ticket or a day ticket.

what do you recommend?

Daniel-san
18830 posts
over 8 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

I really recommend starting the JR Pass on 24.12, traveling from Odawara (Hakone) to Nara costs a lot and this is one of the best routes in your itinerary to cover with the JR Pass. The JR Pass will then expire on the 30.12 but there are budget ways (local trains) for traveling from Nikko to Tokyo that don't cost as much.

Also consider making a day trip from Nagano to Matsumoto. Nagano city is cool but only for a day, you will be bored pretty soon there. Matsumoto is a great visit to include and easy to access from Nagano by express train.

So going for a 7 day JR Pass to cover the long distances and normal tickets for local travel in Tokyo is the best way to go about it.

Enjoy Japan!
Daniel

albe2905
albe2905
2 posts
over 8 years ago

Hey, thank you for being so helpful! yes, we thought about odawara -> nara it would be the best way.

I also read about matsumoto, think we will do a trip to this city!

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17323 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes