Back to Itinerary check

Japan travel March 2016

amadara
amadara
about 8 years ago
3 responses

Fly to Narita arrive Wed March 23 2pm
stay at Imperial Hotel
Which station to get Shinkansen to Kyoto?

Shinkansen to Kyoto Th March 24 arrive Gran Via hotel
Stay Gran Via Kyoto March 24/ 25 check out March 26

March 26 to Nara and Yoshino Gun
Stay Shimokitayama Mar 26/27 Private home
March 28 arrive by car Osaka

Stay Osaka Hotel New Otani March 28 check out March 29

Take Shinkansen back to Tokyo March 29
Stay in Tokyo March 29/30
visit JR rail museum in Saitama and Bonsai Museum March 30
Also visit Meiji Shrine on March 29 and Asakusa area in Taito

check out March 31 for Narita airport return flight

Question about using JR pass on March 23 to March 29
want to use a 7 day pass, but should I use from Narita to Tokyo on Mar 23, and will it still be active on March 29 to return to Tokyo?

and is there a two day package available for Osaka to Tokyo, so I would do a package with hotel?
I still need two day hotel in Tokyo for March 29/30 check out 31

Still trying to decide how to book my train travel for these days in a most efficient manner. If I get a 7 day pass, I want to use it on the high speed shinkansen (Nozomi) for the Tokyo to Kyoto leg on March 24 and the Osaka to Tokyo leg on March 29. Perhaps not activate for the trip from airport to hotel each way?
Thank you for any advice you may offer.

Daniel-san
18830 posts
about 8 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

Which station to get Shinkansen to Kyoto? Take the Narita express from Narita Airport to Tokyo station, from there use the Hikari Shinkansen to Kyoto. The full route takes about 5 hours. Note that the Nozomi is not included but the Hikari only takes 19 minutes longer.

Question about using JR pass on March 23 to March 29 want to use a 7 day pass, but should I use from Narita to Tokyo on Mar 23, and will it still be active on March 29 to return to Tokyo?
Yes, the JR Pass is counted in full days and the first day is counted as a full day, no matter what time you start using it. So if you activate it on the 23rd, the last day will be the 29th.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

amadara
amadara
3 posts
about 8 years ago

Thank you, I have researched further, and have decided to take an airport limo to Imperial Hotel on March 23, activate my JR Pass on Thursday March 24 for our Kyoto leg, and then have it available for our trip to the JR Railway and Bonsai Museums on Wed March 30. Your answer was very helpful!

When going to JR Railway Museum in Saitama, will I be able to take the Joetsu Shinkansen to Omiya Station from Tokyo or Ueno Station? and also use this route on the way back to Tokyo or Ueno?

Is the Yamanote line also covered for unlimited travel on JR rail pass?

Thank you for your help, Daniel-san.

Daniel-san
18830 posts
about 8 years ago
Expert

Hi again,

The Yamanote line and Joetsu Shinkansen are both covered by the JR Pass. You can get on the Joetsu Shinkansen either from Tokyo or Ueno station. Both are fine!

Let me know if you have any questions,
Daniel

amadara
amadara
3 posts
about 8 years ago

Thank you so much! I think I now have this all figured out, you were so helpful in deciding. :)

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17323 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes