Order Your JRPass
Back to Itinerary check

Help with planning Itinerary trip to Japan, Oct 2012

randorin
randorin
over 11 years ago
2 responses

Hi, Hopefully someone can help me with this question. I have had a lifelong wish to visit japan from USA and am finally able to do so in October 2012 for a 14 day trip. I booked hotel and flight but do not currently have an itinerary (lol). I will be flying into haneda and have a hotel in tokyo for the duration, but willing to spend a few nights seeing the sights in other locations.

what are some popular locations? I am willing to hop on the train and go wherever it goes (which is why I am looking into the rail pass). I want to see things like temples, maybe visit a hotspring, see famous buildings etc,

Sorry for the open ended question but would love the flexibility the railpass seems to offer, but not sure where to start planning my itinerary and hoping you could help (assuming I purchase a rail pass to make the travel effective).

Thanks!

mari
1950 posts
over 11 years ago
Expert

Hi there!

From Tokyo for a first time visit you should try and visit:

• Kyoto/Nara
  • Nikko
  • Kamakura

Depending on your pace, you could also try and visit:

• Hiroshima/Miyajima
  • Takayama
  • Kawaguchiko (for Mt Fuji)
  • Hakone onsen hotspring (near Tokyo, also has views of Mt Fuji)
  • Kinosaki onsen hotspring (2 hrs from Kyoto)
  • Kurama onsen hotspring (near Kyoto)

This should form a good base for you to research from. Don't hesitate to ask if you need more advice from here.

Hope this helps!

randorin
randorin
2 posts
over 11 years ago

Thank you so much for the information! now to decide if I want to buy the regular or 1st class passes. It seems many trains do not have first class, but it might be nice to be able to have a slightly larger seat for my 6'3 inch body, lol

mari
1950 posts
over 11 years ago
Expert

heh!

Even at 6'3 you should be fine on the standard class bullet train seating. But yes, if you want to have more legroom then the green car will offer you excellent levels of comfort. For your journey I recommend the standard class as there is not comprehensive green car cover on the Tokyo-Kyoto bullet train.

Hope this helps!

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes