Order Your JRPass
Back to Itinerary check

Golden week 2014

daryl
daryl
about 10 years ago
2 responses

opps had no idea my holiday was during golden week! Happy that a lot of people will be more relaxed but this may alter our travel plans with the passes. We will be arriving in Tokyo on the 26 April and leave on the 9ths of may. Our plan was to spend the most part of our trip in Tokyo but i was wondering if you could advise a good itinerary with golden week in mind. we don't mind about standing on journeys if needs be, but any ideas how to plan the following with Tokyo being our base point. We wanted to go to the following places. Kyoto 2days- 2 day trips if needs be. Hakone, kamakuru, nikko and we did want to go to Disneyland as well. any ideas how to plan this around golden week would be fantastic? Silly me!!

Daniel-san
18835 posts
about 10 years ago
Expert

Hi Daryl,

I don't think that you'll find too much hinder because of it. A lot of people are on the move but this is something you only have to take in mind when traveling longer distances. For you this would be Tokyo - Kyoto and back, however it is pretty simple to work around it by reserving your train tickets one or two days in advance (longer is of course better).

For the rest, Nikko, Kamakura and even Hakone are pretty close to Tokyo and reached by local train in most cases, so for these you won't have to worry at all.

I'd plan your visit to Kyoto outside of the weekend as these are the peak times during Golden Week, when you visit mid week it should be a lot better on the train.

Hope this helps!
Daniel

daryl
daryl
2 posts
about 10 years ago

Hi Daniel-san

Thank you! Entered panic mode for a while there! With it being golden week I don't suppose you know on which days attractions like museums and shrines will be closed on during those days?

Many thanks!

Daniel-san
18835 posts
about 10 years ago
Expert

Hello again!

Don't worry about attractions being closed either. It's only of the rare times in the year that the Japanese are free to explore their own country and, if anything, shrines and the like will be open longer.

The only downside is that Disneyland may be crowded though.

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes