Covering Tokyo + Osaka + Kyoto + Nara + Hakone in 9 days
I will be travelling with my husband and a 16 months old baby to Japan on the 20 Feb - 28 February 2015.
Below is my planned itinerary and I have a few questions to ask.
Tokyo + Osaka + Kyoto + Nara + Hakone
(9 days, Fly in Tokyo Haneda Airport, Fly out Tokyo Haneda Airport)
Day 1: Singapore to Tokyo (Shinjuku) :TOKYO overnight
Day 2: Tokyo to Hakone, stay at Hakone :HAKONE overnight
Day 3: Hakone to Kyoto (Kiyomizudera/Gion) :KYOTO overnight
Day 4: Kyoto (Arashiyama Scenic train/Fushimi Inari shrine/Kinkakuji) :KYOTO overnight
Day 5: Kyoto to Osaka, day trip to Nara + Evening at Osaka's Dotonbori, stay at Osaka :OSAKA overnight
Day 6: Osaka to Tokyo (Asakusa/Akihabara) or (Imperial Palace/Ginza) :TOKYO overnight
Day 7: Tokyo (Disneyland or Disneysea or Sanrio Puroland) :TOKYO overnight
Day 8: Tokyo (Harajuku/Shibuya) or (Odaiba/Tokyo Tower) :TOKYO overnight
Day 9: Tokyo to Singapore (Tsukuji market* in the morning if you have time)
1. How many days of JR pass should I get?
2. Is my itinerary possible if I have a 16 month old baby travelling with us?
3. Understand that there will be a lot of travelling by train, is it necessary to book an apartment in Tokyo for 9 days just to lighten our load of luggage when we travel to Hakone, Kyoto and Osaka for our overnight stays there?
4. Is there any additional tips or advise you would have for us since this is our first time to Japan and also first time travelling with a baby to Japan?
5. Is there any pass/tickets that we have to get before we get to Japan?
I would appreciate your comment and would be really grateful.
Thank you very much.
1.) A 7 day JR Pass would work best, you can do all long distance travel within day 1-7.
2.) Certainly, most trips are pretty fast so I don't see any problems.
3.) Almost every station in Japan has coin lockers, you can store your luggage there for much cheaper.
4.) I think that you already made a very nice plan, I honestly done have much to add.
5.) Yes, the JR Pass may only be purchased outside of Japan. An other can be placed here.
Hope this helps,
Order your Japan Rail Pass Online
Starting from $255.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel