Order Your JRPass
Pynk
Pynk
almost 7 years ago
1 response

Hi there, need advice if I should get the 7 day JR pass.
My current plans are
Day 1: Arrive Narita 17:30 head to Shinjuku OR should I just go to Kyoto straight?
Day 2: Shinjuku to Kyoto
Day 3: Kyoto sightseeing
Day 4: Kyoto to Atami
Day 5: Atami to Shinjuku
Day 6: Tokyo sightseeing
Day 7: Shinjuku to Narita

It's my first time in Kyoto, so I'd also appreciate if peepz could advise on where to stay for easy accessibility to trains, food and shopping

Thanks!

Daniel-san
18835 posts
almost 7 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

I recommend getting a 7 day JR Pass here. The cost of the pass is about the same as a return ticket Tokyo - Kyoto using the Shinkansen. With the JR Pass you get 7 days of unlimited travel for the same price and any additional travel is basically what you save :)

I'd advise staying in Tokyo on the day when you arrive. The last train connection to Kyoto from Narita Airport with the JR Pass departs around 18:45 and you may not be in time in case your plane is delayed. Staying in Tokyo will be a much saver option and you can get some rest before traveling on.

For staying in Kyoto, you have two main options. One is to stay near Kyoto station. This is convenient as you don't have to carry your luggage far and you can get on the train easily.

You could also stay in the city centre near Kawaramachi/Shijou/Gion. Here is where you'll find the true admostphere and the experience will be more enjoyable but slightly less convenient, as there are no JR lines in the centre.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes