Order Your JRPass
Back to Itinerary check

13 nights, first trip. Summer 2016

sunseeker
sunseeker
about 8 years ago
1 response

Hi,

If possible could someone advise on the rough itinerary below please? It will be our first trip to Japan so we want to see the main sights and a mixture of modern and traditional (i.e Disneyland and ancient temples!). We both like our food and drink which is why we thought of staying in Osaka for 2 nights before moving on to Kyoto but please advise if we should just stay one. We are hoping to buy the 7 day pass. Also with regards to being in Japan late July/early Aug, should we be booking accommodation now? Anywhere to escape the heat?

Sun 24th July Osaka (Fly in)
Mon 25th Osaka
Tues 26th Kyoto
Wed 27th Kyoto
Thurs 28th Kyoto
Fri 29th Kyoto
Sat 30th Hiroshima/ Miyajima overnight
Sun 31st SPARE DAY?
Mon 1st Aug Tokyo
Tues 2nd Tokyo
Wed 3rd Tokyo
Thurs 4th - Tokyo
Fri 5th - Tokyo (Fly out)

Many thanks in advance!

Daniel-san
18835 posts
about 8 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

I think this looks great as a base itinerary, visiting Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and Tokyo are all amazing places to visit, especially for a first time visit to Japan. It is advisable to get a 7 day JR Pass for travel to Hiroshima, Miyajima and back to Tokyo.

Kyoto and Osaka are only 30min apart by train, you could stay at one and visit the other but moving once works too. I also recommend adding a day trip to Nara. You could perhaps plan this in on your spare day, or visit it from Kyoto/Osaka. An other stop-over you could make from Hiroshima - Tokyo is Himeji and see Himeji Castle, one of the best in Japan.

Accommodations can be booked at a later point, generally I would do so 1-2months in advance but you could do so now too.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes