Order Your JRPass
Back to Itinerary check

10 Days in Japan

RebeccaCollett
RebeccaCollett
about 6 years ago
1 response

Good Morning. I am intending on doing the following. When I check on Hyperdia I dont think it is worth getting a pass, but I just wanted to double check to make sure I am not missing some benefit;

13th Kansia airport to Osaka city
15th Osaka to Kyoto
17th Kyoto to Nara and return (daytrip)
18th Kyoto to Himeji and return (daytrip)
20th Kyoto to Nagano
21st Nagano to Tokyo
22nd Tokyo to Nikko return (daytrip)
24th Tokyo to Narita airport

I dont think these trips add up to the cost of a 7 day pass, let alone a 14 day pass to cover the whole duration. From my understanding they dont work on the Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo metro? Is the convenience worth the additional cost. Is it difficult to buy train tickets as we go.

Thanks for your help with this

Bec

Daniel-san
18835 posts
about 6 years ago
Expert

Hello Bec,

Its an interesting itinerary and value proposition for the JR Pass and in this case it will depend on what trains you intend on using. Whether or not the JR Pass will help you make savings.

The main differences are in the routes to Himeji and Nikko.

Going by Shinkansen from Kyoto to Himeji will cost ¥ 5,270 / 56 Minutes.
While using a local train will cost ¥ 2,270 / 92 Minutes.

Tokyo - Nikko by Shinkansen: ¥ 5,580 / 107 Minutes
Local train: ¥ 2,590 / 166 Minutes.

Double both time and money spend for a return and you can see that it makes quite a difference. The JR Pass would allow you to take the Shinkansen in both instances. Saving you both time and money and don't forget that Shinkansen are way more comfortable.

The JR Pass is not valid for the metro but the local JR Network in cities like Tokyo, Osaka and to a limited extent in Kyoto can also be used.

I can't make the decision for you but I hope this helps you make an informed one.
-Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes